Thursday 5 July 2007

My top 15 songs

I love my music! I cannot live without music! Almost in everything I do, I have music playing in the background.
My first job when I get in my car-actually second, since I have to put the key in the ignition-is to turn the music on. When I take a shower, the music is on. There's nothing better than a good singalong when taking a shower, though my neighbours I'm sure will disagree.
But there are some songs that have become part of me, closely linked to good and bad memories alike. You will notice that of the songs I'm listing, most have sad, or even depressing lyrics. That's me! Even when I listen to music, I need to think!
  1. Blue Monday - New Order
    My all time favourite song, of my all time favourite band!
    "How does it feel to treat me like you do?" - The story of my relationships
  2. Shake the Disease - Depeche Mode
    "...you know how hard it is for me to shake the disease
    that takes hold of my tongue in situations like these..." - I asked my first love to go out with me by playing this song on her walkman. I was too scared to ask!
  3. Diamonds and Rust - Judas Priest
    Yeah, I know it's a Joan Baez song, but I prefer the Priest version.
    "...yes we both know what memories can bring,
    they bring diamonds and rust..."
  4. Touched By The Hand Of God - New Order
    "...and now I'm down here all alone, with every feeling that I own,
    you can't take that away..." - what can I say?
  5. Subculture - New Order
    "...what do I get out of this?
    I always try. I always miss..." - Applicable on many periods of my life!
  6. Heart - Pet Shop Boys
    "...if I didn't love you, I would look around for someone else,
    but every time I see you, you have the same effect.
    My heart starts missing a beat!" - For my certain someone
  7. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
    "...when I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look, but it was gone. I can not put my finger on it now..." - It always brings tears to my eyes. The solo guitar at the end goes through to my bones!
  8. Appetite - Prefab Sprout
    "...I don't want to sell you lies,
    I only mean to do you right..." - That's me!
  9. What Difference Does It Make - The Smiths
    "...heavy words are so lightly thrown..." - For all my ex's.
  10. Landing in London -3 Doors Down
    "...and all these days I spend away,
    I'll make up for it. I swear!..." - reminds me of my girl! (I always keep my word)
  11. Take It Easy - Eagles
    "...don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy..."
  12. Missing - Everything But The Girl
    "...and I miss you, like the desserts miss the rain..."
  13. P.S. -James
    "...You're falling, you're falling, falling from your god-like distance.
    You're fashion, just fashion, fashion doesn't keep.
    You're sour, so sour, all is hope and trust is misplaced.
    You're sour, now you are alone..." - I was playing this song when I resigned from my previous job
  14. Five-O - James
    "...if it lasts forever, hope I'm the first to die..."
    "...are you here for the party, or are you here for the pain?..."
  15. Alaskan Pipeline - James
    "...oh, you say life's so unfair,
    ooh, you can ill afford to hold to this views,
    ooh, you need something to blame.
    But it's you! It's your truth!" - Helped me through so many difficult times!

16 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

If you can sing a song to the lady in Rio, which one will it be?

Epimenides said...

It would have to be Sky by Sonique! (I quite fancy dancing with my Rio girl):
"Look at me
It really was not easy
But I can breathe
And I'm so grateful 'cause I can see
I am free to do exactly what I please
So come with me to a place where we can be

Ooh I wanna touch the sky
I wanna fly so high
Ooh I wanna hold you
I wanna love you tonight
Ooh I wanna touch the sky
I wanna fly so high
Oooh I wanna satisfy
I wanna make you cry

Follow me to a place where we can be absolutely free
To be exactly what we want to be
Completely, lose control that's when I need you more
Give me the key, to set your heart and spirit free

Oooh, I wanna touch the sky
I wanna make you fly

Ooh I wann hold you
I wanna love you tonight
Ooh I wanna touch the sky
I gonna make you fly
Ooh I wanna satisfy
I wanna make you cry

I know what I need
And I know I need it right now
Gonna take you on a journey
To a far away place now

Just you and I
We're gonna fly like a bird in the sky
Just you and I
We're gonna fly like a bird in the sky
Just you and I
I wanna love you now
I wanna take you high
I wanna give you everything
that you desire..."

Anonymous said...

You're so sweet about your gir., Epi.

I love The Smiths and Morrisey. Love 'em.

Epimenides said...

Can't help it hollygl! I never hold back. I just hope I don't get dissappointed. Again!

Anonymous said...

Your girl's luck to have a guy like you!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Epi, that is a sweet song, she is such a lucky girl :)

Anonymous said...

I had to pass up seeing Morrisey in Tampa this month, or maybe last month, doesn't matter, I couldn't go. I will never get tired of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

I knew you were a Priest fan. Diamonds and Rust is a great song, but my favorite, used to be anyway, is Blood Red Skies.

Anonymous said...

BTW - She's Brazilian, you're Greek, does anyone even need to question the passion?

Amel said...

GOOD LUCK with your girl, Epi!!! :-)))

Epimenides said...

Thanks jyankee, mother hen, I hope she realises it!

Yeah David, I went from die hard Priest fan to die hard New Order fan.
PS. No one can question the passion! It's the practicality that's the concern!

Amel, thanks trully! It sounds simillar to your case, doesn't it?

Amel said...

YEEEPPP...a long-distance relationship. I can relate to that allright he he he...:-)))

Rebecca said...

I absolutely love Comfortably Numb, and you're right, it can bring tears to your eyes. The child has grown, the dream is gone...dang. Wish you were here is another great Floyd song. Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage...

Epimenides said...

amel ;)

rp, Roger Waters can write a cool verse, can't he? I saw him live last year, and it's a memory of a lifetime!

Darren G. Miller said...

Comfortably Numb is definitely one of the greatest "popular" songs of all time.

Rebecca said...

That whole record is amazing! My dad gave it to me when I turned either 14 or 15, along with Janis Joplin's Pearl, Eric Clapton's Slow Hand, Queen's News of the World, and Moody Blue's Gemini Dream. It was life changing...

Epimenides said...

I totally agree Worlfgang!

rp, The Wall was my first ever vinyl record! (I still have it)